"The Misfits"

Friday, October 9, 2009

William Soul performs @ The Hexagon

Review Written By: luminoUS - Editor@Large


In a small club located on Charles Street in Baltimore, I was slated to view William Soul in concert. The Hexagon appeared to be a regular store situated among the row home structures on this Baltimore street but once inside, it was a quaint intimate concert space. I was greeted by smiling faces at William’s marketing table and I walked away with a CD and survey form. The survey served as a feedback medium between audience and musician in efforts of giving the musician pointers as to what the audience wished to hear.


Not unfamiliar with William Soul or his band Righteous Soul I settled into the sofa and prepared for some good, soul stirring music. Blending reggae, soul and blues into a sound all his own, William’s voice reminds me of a hearty blend of Maxwell and Curtis Mayfield if you will. Complete with twelve songs listed on the survey, I wondered if every song would be tackled during the show.


Performing seven out of the twelve songs listed, I was not disappointed although I did make a mental note of a few things. At times the high-powered band drowned out William’s voice, which can be very mellow and soothing at times. He started the show with “Walk in Beauty” and followed up with “Practice Love.” The high note that he hit in “Practice Love” was enough to bring a tear to my eyes and he followed up with my all time favorite, “Afro-Cuban.” “Afro-Cuban” has a nice groove and I felt like it was his most powerful and the strongest song of his set. Half way into his set, William did a cover of Maxwell’s “Sumthin Sumthin.” His cover wasn’t bad at all, but considering some of the high notes in the song, I think it would have been easier for him to perform it earlier in his set before his voice was a bit strained from performing the other highly demanding tunes.


Over all, the concert was great and I believe that William Soul is a promising artist. I love his sound and his songs I just want him to find a comfortable balance with his band so that it doesn’t seem like he is being drowned out and over powered.


Much peace, love and light


No comments:

Post a Comment