"The Misfits"

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Breast Cancer Awareness...


“See Our Sisters Join”:
Sister’s Network Inc.
Written by: ^Northernstar*



For the “Entrepreneur” Issue of ETM, the director of the “Wake Up” section assigned me to research the Sisters Network, Inc. for cancer awareness. So, I went to the company’s official website and was so intrigued by the information that I took matters into my own hands. I arranged an interview with one of the affiliated members, Peggy Nicholson, from the Maryland division. The interview was very informative & serious, and it made me eager to learn more!


How are you today?

I am very good. And yourself?

I am great! Thanks for asking. I am aware that in between 1996 and 2002, 77% of African-American women survived breast cancer. And in 1994, breast cancer survivor Karen Jackson created an organization entitled the “Sisters Network Inc.”

Can you tell the readers exactly what Sister’s Network Inc. is & what does it represent?

Well, the Sisters Network, Inc. represents education for many of the women who are not insured on breast cancer awareness & to give hope to those women.

How did you become an affiliated chapter with the Sisters Network Inc.?


I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1997 and had no awareness of it at all. So, I decided to do education on the subject since I had no knowledge of it. The only thing I found was Caucasian women in the Baltimore area until I read a bio on Karen Eubanks Jackson.

And what aspects of the chapter encouraged you to join?

Just being around the group of women at a conference back in 2000—it was in Detroit—and I was amazed with what I saw, especially seeing how the women were enlightening their communities about the statistics of African-American women dying, more so than any other ethnic background. So, I was destined to bring that knowledge back to Baltimore!

Are there any financial obligations for a new member?


No, there aren’t any financial obligations to become a member. We’re free!

And how could our readers become involved?

We have two types of memberships! The regular membership consists of those who have survived breast cancer. And the associate membership is targeted towards the non-survivors to inform them about the things we are doing in the community.

And men are able to donate and become members, as well, right?

Yup AND join! Come join!


Okay, that’s amazing!

Yup!

In which ways do you think breast cancer survivors can benefit from the organization?

They can become empowered and discussing the innermost fears about the lack of information out there. Because I didn’t have any information about the cancer when I was first diagnosed with it, and I wouldn’t want anyone to go through the same things I’ve been through when I was 44. It wasn’t a priority to me at the time, even though I had family members who had breast cancer, as well. But we just never discussed breast cancer […] For the most part, I think it can be empowering, and seeing the fact that we’ve all survived, it gives the other women hope they can survive it, too.


You said you were 44 when you were diagnosed with the cancer. Do you think things would be different if you were aware of everything at the time?

Absolutely! Because I was preparing to die more so than to live!



That is understandable because I had a cousin who passed from osteosarcoma [bone cancer] back in 2005. And we had no knowledge of it at all prior to her having it!

I’m sorry to hear that! Bone cancers are some of the most aggressive cancers, and it’s untimely she had to go through that.


Yeah, she fought ‘til the end!

[sighs] Bless her heart… Cancer is difficult period, but bone cancers are very severe. And liver cancer is becoming a huge threat to the African-American community, as well. It’s been growing in the last couple of years.

To read this informative interview in its entirety, click the link below:
http://www.etmmagazine.info/wakeup/2009/10/articles/2009_10_sistersnetwork.html

No comments:

Post a Comment