"The Misfits"

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Passion Over Money...

Written by: Kenneth-Michael

Dear Youth,

Let me paint this picture: You’ve won the state lottery for $65 million. Now, it is time to ponder, what is your next step? A big pay-day like winning the lottery means, for some people, that they can quit their job. Rarely does a person decide to continue working when they are awarded a large amount of money. This has been the choice of many people that rule money over passion when thrown at them. There is a saying that goes “money makes the world go round”. But, for those that apply passion over money, the saying goes “how bad do you really want this?”

Since Ms. Earl’s second grade language art class, I’ve enjoyed writing. First, it was my teacher’s carefully crafted penmanship that made me write more. Writing wasn’t a passion until the seventh grade where I was assigned my first term paper. The thesis was Tupac Shakur was an American writer speaking on political issues. For today’s masses, there is no denying of his talent outside of the Hip-Hop world. But, in 1999, a few years after his passing, it was difficult to see him as a gifted writer out of the Rap world. The research that went into the paper brought out the journalist in me. I interviewed other writers and intensively analyzed pieces of Shakur’s work.

Forward to 2009, I am two semesters away from graduation. It is time to start looking for work in my field. Journalism is steadily declining and the right job is hard to find. I’ve pictured that my first job, after college, would be reporting for a major city newspaper.

To read the entire article, click the link below:
http://www.etmmagazine.info/future/2009/10/articles/2009_10_passionormoney.html

No comments:

Post a Comment