"The Misfits"

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Music Hits The Spot Series (What's On My Mind By Donald Mitchell)

So the long awaited cd has finally dropped. People heard the first single, and then was amazed at the video that came along with it. I don't think that people were ready to see you strip down in real life in the middle of a major street in Dallas, TX. Well guess what, she's here, and she's letting the world know that she ain't playing the game anymore, because the game is hers for the taking.



This is definitely a change-up in the game from her first cd "New Amerykah, Pt. 1: 4th World War". It reminds me of her old style, which drew me to love her in the first place. I'm not going to go into that, mainly because I've done that already here, so you can read my thoughts on the first two cds. Only thing I didn't like about this is that it's super short...by the time you get into it, it's about to go off.

But she ended it on a great note with this song:




This song right here is the perfect song to end it on. It's almost like she's having flashbacks to when she and ole dude were together, but on the brink of being separated for good. Not sure if anyone else thought about this (although I know one person already has..lol), but this is giving me Green Eyes precedence. Think about it...she's talking bout all the things that she'd do for him, and all the while, realizing that she's been the fool for him. Green Eyes is just picking up where she left off. I also like the way she sampled different songs (such as Junior Mafia's Get Money and Sweet Sable's Old Time Sake).

All in all, I'll give this a 3.5 out of 5 stars. I think that if she would have made it a bit longer then I would have given it a higher rating. But I must say, this was a good comeback, cause in my opinion, she hadn't had a banger since Mama's Gun. This is a good rideout cd. It's somewhat a bitter in a love lost sort of way, but I don't see it making women want to go out and start stabbin up people's tires or bustin out windows. I endorse it.

Good job Erykah! You ain't lost it after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment