"The Misfits"

Friday, April 9, 2010

Lady Gaga on Beyonce's Level?! (As Told By ^Northernstar*)


Okay, I would like to start off by saying I love Lady Gaga to death... I love her innovative style, her tone (voice), songs & "IDGAF" attitude. However, I'm hearing people say she's on Beyonce's level/ status... and I am APPALLED by that. I'm happy to see another woman (Gaga) be on top of her shit because I'm tired of Beyonce being the only one bringing something to the table.But people have to remember that Beyonce has been in the game since 1997, that is THIRTEEN years. Gaga has been in the game, since 2008. Yeah, she's headlining her own tour after a short amount of time & she has also won two Grammys so far in her career. But we've seen how fast "pop stars" can easily gain popularity & within one mistake, their career is over. Beyonce has experienced the leaps & bounds of stardom, and has managed to sustain longevity in a tough industry. And the girl is still getting better & better with each album. Only in due's time could I say the same about Gaga.

Performance wise, they both bring something interesting to the table. Gaga, is known for her crazy costumes, tantrum-piano playing, & singing-dancing simultaneously. Beyonce is known for her ability to sing & dance at the same time, throw around her lace fronts and still HIT notes. And let's not forget about her undeniable stage presence. I'd say Gaga only has one thing over Bey, and that's the ability to play the piano. However, her singing & dancing simultaneously has resulted to her fainting at a few concerts recently, and she has only been touring for about 3/4 months. Beyonce has a BIGGER catalogue than Gaga, her shows are 2hrs plus, and her recent "I Am.." tour ran from March 2009 to February 2010.. And not once has she passed out at a show!

Songs, I think it's a matter of preference. Gaga mainly sings dance music, but occasionally sings ballads & even sing acoustic versions of her dance records live. Beyonce is known for her uptempo songs, as well... but she can also rip a ballad to shreds. They both are versatile artists... but in my opinion, Beyonce could sing "Pokerface", "Bad Romance", & "LoveGame" in a heartbeat. However, can you really imagine Lady Gaga singing "Listen", "Single Ladies", "Dangerously in Love", "If I Were A Boy", or even "Crazy in Love", and still share the same brilliance Beyonce brought to those songs?!

Videos: I think is Gaga's strongest point, and she does take things to the next level. The "Bad Romance" video was pure brilliance & maybe one of the best videos I've seen in the past five years. And "Paparazzi" is awesome, as well. The video for "Telephone" featuring Beyonce is not one of my favorites. I believe the beginning & overused sexuality was very uncalled for. And I think her usage of sexuality may hurt her a bit... in the same sense that it almost hurt Madonna in the early 90s. Yes, it's a different generation, but many people aren't accepting of it!!! In my honest opinion, videos aren't Beyonce's strongest point.. but she has made a classic out of the "Single Ladies" video which she recorded in ONE take, and was VERY popular on YouTube with fans doing many renditions of the video! And her underrated video for "If I Were A Boy" was definitely one of her best!

Accomplishments: They were both honored by Billboard as the "Rising Star of 2009" (Gaga) & "Artist of the Year" (Beyonce) respectively. I have to say for Gaga to be 23 years old, and to have been in the game for two plus years... she is doing the damn thing. Two Grammys, a world wide tour, two number ones on Billboard Hot 100 & she's a fashion trendsetter. Beyonce, I don't even know where to begin. She has many endorsement deals, broke a record of 16 Grammys (13 solo), five number ones on Billboard Hot 100, sung for the Obamas, sung at the Oscars five times in her career, first black woman to win an ASCAP Songwriter of the Year award, Number one in Forbes highest paid celebrities two years in a row, Billboard's Female Artist of the DECADE... so on & so forth! Come on now... do I need to say to more?!

In my honest opinion, I do think Gaga is one of the most creative artists I've seen in a very very long time. But will she last in this industry is the real question. Because at the end of the day, Beyonce has NOTHING to prove... she could retire today if she wanted to. On the other hand, Gaga has ALOT to prove... and she is NOT on Beyonce's level.

No comments:

Post a Comment