"The Misfits"

Friday, April 9, 2010

Embracing Your Personal Beauty (Written by: Chenita “Infinite Apex” Dickerson)

…And a child shall lead them; how amadamaphus it is to see the pure innocence that comes from children as it relates to their self-confidence, and acceptance of themselves and others. Often we want the opposite of what we are blessed or born with. There is nothing wrong with enhancing, changing, perfecting, embellishing, and molding all that we want to be different about our selves. But, loathing ourselves, sadly, is why the beauty industry is raking in all the dollars that everyone swears is lost to a so-called recession.

Being in the beauty industry myself, I witness first-hand those who I wish would embrace their own natural beauty and take enhancing as a “want” and not a “I’ll just take my rent money and get my hair done” thing. If a man’s hair is too thick, he wants it thinned. If it’s too thin, he wishes for thicker hair. When hair is long, they want short. Too short, they want long. People pay for perms to have curly and others pay for the curls to be straight with relaxers or keratin treatments. We fry, dye, and weave just to be able to eXcape from the reality of who we are.

“I’m too thin… I should eat…”

“I’m too fat… I should eXercise…”

“I’m too tall; my feet are too big; my nose is ugly; I’m not smart enough, funny enough, White enough, (this one kills me) BLACK enough…”

Why worry about what name is on your jeans? They are not paying you to advertise on your butt. It costs all of around $5.00 to make a pair of Nikes and we shell out upwards of $150 by the time our senses tell us we must have them, because we don’t love ourselves without the latest pair.

My gracious, no wonder we need pills to get up in the morning and another pill to go to bed at night; pills to stop constipation and another to stop diarrhea. We are a confused generation.

To view the entire article, click the link below:

http://www.etmmagazine.info/wakeup/2010/articles/04/2010_04_embracingyour.html

No comments:

Post a Comment