"The Misfits"

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Music Hits The Spot Series (The Sweetest Thing I've Ever Known) - By: Donald Mitchell


Was like the kiss on a collar bone
the soft caress of happiness
the way you walk, your style of dress


Not really sure why I chose this song...it came across the iPod, and it made me fall back into the time of young innocent teenage love (not Alicia style..lol). I remember this was the Lauryn Hill that everyone fell in love with...right off of a bumpin LP with the Fugees (don't trip...the Score was off the chains), and right before she went bananas on everyone. This was the bump on the radio for quite a long time, and in all actuality, the Love Jones Soundtrack (where the song came from) was and still is one that gets rotation.



But during that time, Lauryn took the nation by storm with quite a few songs from her first solo joint, the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.



When she released her first single from that cd, Doo-wop (That Thing), I was instantly hooked. True enough, it was a different sound for the time that it came out, but it was a refreshing sound. To me, she first came into her own when the Fugees did the remake of Killing Me Softly (although it seemed like a little bit of EVERYONE did that remake), so it was only a matter of time that she would drop her own joint; and when she did, she made MOVES.

Even though the entire Miseducation cd was bangin, there were a few cuts that stood out from the rest to me. In no particular order they are:

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - The title track was a slower, smooth, "Miss Independent" type of track...and the pianist on this track was off the chains.

Every Ghetto, Every City
- Now even though some of you didn't grow up in the hood, I know you can relate to some of the stuff that she sings about.

Nothing Even Matters - One of the most banginest duets out there....she ripped this track, and D'Angelo held his own right along with her.

Can't Take My Eyes Off You - I'on know why, but I always wanted to go roller skating when I heard this song. lol

I Used to Love Him - Another bangin duet...but this time, the Queen of Hip-Hop, MJB, is producing the vocal talent.

I wish Lauryn would get out of her funk and produce another timeless classic like this one. I'm sure she could be one of the few to revitalize the game to where it used to be, and where it needs to be now. The world needs another woman who can sing, rap, combine the two, and make it flawless.

No comments:

Post a Comment