"The Misfits"

Friday, January 29, 2010


I really feel like I want to discuss this in some depth. Being one who will always ride that music from the 90s and even EARLY 2000s could run circles around this crap that we listen to these days, prompted me to post about songs that you give side eyes to in the public eye, but yet and still find yourself tappin your foot to in your car or at the crib. Maybe it's the beat, or maybe it's the silliness of the lyrics...iono. But either way, before you realize it, that song has made its way into your rotation on the sneak tip, and you don't know how.

Let's start off with the latest trendsetter: the infamous "LOL/:-)" by Trey Songz.


I'm not sure how Trey got this one off the ground, but coupled with the popularity of Twitter, now it became a household staple. I mean...seriously? WTH? "Shawty sent a twit pic, sayin come and get this. LOL :) LOL :)" I think Trey had to be smokin some serious sticky to come up with this one. The teeny boppers went in for it the moment that it came out. Me on the other hand...not so much. Only after hearing it EVERYWHERE in DC did I become one of the zombie heads of this song. I still feel like I lose more and more brain cells everytime I listen to this song though. LOL
Next on the list: "Stanky Leg" by the GS Boyz

Now I must admit, this was a catchy dance, and normally those dances that look the silliest are the ones that are the most popular. Not really sure why, maybe our people like lookin stupid....but if that's the case, then we may as well put on blackface and sooper white lips and dance around for Massa. The strange thing about this is that this isn't a hard dance to learn. Put your leg out (doesn't matter which one), and just shake it like you're having a seizure, and that's it. WTF? What ever happened to those dances that required that you have some sort of rhythm? I guess we've fallen into the realm of the Rhythmless Nation (remember that from In Living Color? lol)

Now let's move on to the next annoying ass catchy song: "You're a Jerk" by the New Boyz:
Who gets a kick off someone callin them a jerk? I know I don't...but then again, I guess I grew up in a time where we had some sense. But the song itself is kinda hot tho. Funny thing is this, when I was working with some teens from my church, I found myself doin the jerk with them. They were kinda shocked cause they ain't think that Mr. D had it in em. Had to show em how "old school" do it. LOL. Either way, the lyrics to this song are the worst dot com, but it's the beat that catches you and reels you in for the score.

Last but definitely not least, we got the trendiest song of em all; the one that was so popular that spinoffs popped up left and right, and it still outlasted ALL of the spinoffs: "Crank That Superman" by Soulja Boy Tell Em.
Soulja Boy - Crank That


This song became like the unofficial anthem of the hip hop nation. The dance became a must play at all parties, clubs, bar mitzvahs and the like. If you didn't know how to "Crank That", then you were considered a lame, and nobody wanted to hang with you. I dunno how Soulja Boy did it, but because of this song, we were learned to Crank that Spiderman (which by the way I saw used in a stepshow by my chapter brothers, and it was hot the way they used it), the Lion King, the Lawn Mower, the Old Man, and countless others with no point to them. lol. For that alone, I think that Soulja Boy earned the "Pointless song of the Decade" award from me.

Upon first hearing, these songs irritated the shit outta me, but once you hear them over and over again, you can't help but be mindlessly tappin your foot and hummin the beat to yourself while going about your day. Not to mention, it doesn't help that at every turn, I have to deal with some teenage crony blastin it on their iPod, or wailing it out while walkin down the street. I wish that it wasn't like this, but unfortunately, music will get worse before it gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment