"The Misfits"

Friday, December 11, 2009

Music Hits The Spot series (RIP Baby Girl) - By: Donald Mitchell

As I was listening to my Pandora station, tryin to get a topic for my new post, this song came on, and I instantly had an epiphany (not Chrisette Michele style..lol)

This was one of the many Aaliyah songs that I loved, simply because even though Aaliyah wasn't the greatest artist vocally, but she brought her own Detroit style to the table. (not to mention, she looks DAYUM good in a 2 split skirt). Even though her beginnings started off with that scandalous pedophilic musical mastermind R'rah Kelly, she eventually bloomed into her own, and realized that the girly look was gonna take her farther in the business than the "thug misses" look ever would. (and I agree...leave that to Da Brat..lol).

Aaliyah's life was taken way before her time shoulda been gone, but honestly I guess that's not really my decision to make. She gave us 3 good to great albums before her untimely passing, but if given the chance, I bet that she had a lot more to offer the world. Aaliyah paved the way for such folks like Ciara and Teyana Taylor...but I betcha that if she was still alive, that she woulda been blowin them to pieces. Some of my favorites by the Baby Girl herself are listed below (and low key, I still bump some of them to this day. lol)

Back and Forth- The first single from her first CD "Age Ain't Nothin But a Number". This was the song that introduced us to the female protege of R'rah.

Street Thing- This wasn't a mainstream hit, but it was a banger. Loved the feeling she put into it.

Age Ain't Nothin But a Number- The title track from her 1st cd that let folks know that even though she may be young, she still know how to get down.

One in a Million- A re-used title with a bangin beat and different words. The title track from her second CD: this was the beginning of a Timbo era.

If Your Girl Only Knew- The first single released from the second CD. Probably was the theme song for all those fly girls back in the day. LOL

We Need a Resolution- First track from her self-titled and last CD. She really came wit it. Gotta love the Timbo beat.

I Care 4 U- Love the sincerity in this video. She vows to make things all better after a broken relationship. Fellas, how many of us are lookin for someone like that?

I Don't Wanna Be- From the Romeo Must Die Soundtrack....acting was pretty bad, but the song knocks tho!

There were plenty of others that could and should be mentioned here, but if I listed all of the songs that banged throughout her career, we'd be here all day. I know that you guys got more to list, but these are the ones that stood out to me. The world is missing an angel, but she's in Heaven right now performing for those people up there now.

R.I.P. Aaliyah


1 comment:

  1. Aaliyah WAS one of the greatest artist vocally. Especially listening to R U That Somebody it's very evident, control, harmony, melodizm, power - that's what you hear. Aaliyah possessed unique vocal that put her in the golden pantheon of greatest singers in history, alongside with Donny Hathaway, Freddie Mercury, Montserrat Caballier, Placido Domingo, Lara Fabian, Stevie Wonder etc. Those are talents from god, natural, original, unique. I can understand that some people have bears on their ears & being pretty far from music as it is, but in that case you should make conclusions about musicians. And as for your remark about Aaliyah's acting on Romeo, she was terrific, hands down.

    ReplyDelete