"The Misfits"

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Music Hits The Spot Series (The NEW Robin Thicke) - By: Donald Mitchell


The title to this post has a double meaning to it. Yes it is about the new Robin Thicke joint that just came out today, but it's also in meaning to a new person. A new Robin Thicke if you will. As you read on, you'll see what I mean by the double meaning.

Sex Therapy is pretty much not what I thought it would be, classic Robin if you will. A bunch of ballads and lounge songs that made RT known for what he is. I know that many people (myself included) thought that it would be like albums from the past: a bunch of kick back and relax, enjoy the breeze in the sunset, ride along in your car on a hot summer day type songs. But Robin had another thought in mind for all of his fans.

This is where the new Robin comes into play. Sure enough, he's done duets with rappers (one of my favorites being Shooter w/ Weezy), but even in those, he's always stayed true to his form....a singer. Never has he tried to take on the role of the person that he's doing the song with. Well I guess this is a new era...a new decade....a new Robin. Cause on the first half of the cd, that's all it is...the hip hop, "rappin" Robin. IMO it's a different look on him, but given some more practice, one that the world could (and would) get used to. Now I will admit, I think he ran into some writers' block on those songs (see Shakin It 4 Daddy, and Meiplè), but they introduce a more upbeat, fun Robin w/ looks from Hov, Nicki Minaj, and the Doggfather himself, Snoop. Even Kid Cudi makes a hot track with Robin in Elevatas.

Now that's not to say that classic Robin doesn't come out...cause on the last half of the cd, that's when true to form, what we're used to Robin shines through. "Jus Right" is a personal favorite from this part of the cd, and even "Mona Lisa" does it for me. Let's not forget the song that put this CD on the map in the first place: Sex Therapy. That song just drips all kinds of sex from the first intro to the end. Honestly, it's a look that Robin should never COMPLETELY stray away from, cause it's what created who he is, and it'll continue to bring him success in life.

But all in all, even though it seems like 2 separate cds from the first half to the second half, I still think it's a pretty good cd in all. I'd give it a B+, simply because he still needs to work at the "new" Robin more before I can give him an A on that type of effort. But as of right now, I like it, and I give it my stamp of approval.

Good job Robin!

No comments:

Post a Comment