"The Misfits"

Monday, June 8, 2009

'Art with a Heart'


Art with a Heart

Written by: luminoUS, Editor-at-Large


Sometimes in life we encounter situations that we don’t know how to deal with. Out of this lack of knowledge, coping mechanisms are birthed. For me, not knowing how to speak up for myself or simply express what was on my mind was difficult, so I turned to a number of things to release pent up aggression. I did a lot of reading. Encyclopedias. Dictionaries. You name it and more than likely, if it had words, I would read it. From there, I began to sketch and as time progressed I put down my colored pencils, picked up an ink pen and began to write. Short stories… poems… novels… whatever I could jot down at the time to help me take my mind off of what I was going through. I suppose when it gets down to the wire, you could say that my drawing and writing got me through adolescence and young adulthood. Art reached out to my heart and inspired me to keep going.

Art with a Heart, Inc is indeed making a difference by keeping the healing power of art alive and placing it in the hands of people who need it the most.

Contrary to popular belief, art is very vital and it nurtures humans in a way that some may never comprehend. It is this notion that has me baffled as to why the powers that be would remove something so precious and beautiful from the school system, especially in an era where crime is high, home situations are stressed, and most children don’t know what it means to be children any more. But, there is an organization that understands how art can heal and help cope.

To read this full-length story by Luminous, click the link below:

http://etmmagazine.info/future/2009/06/2009_06_artwithheart.html

No comments:

Post a Comment