"The Misfits"

Monday, August 10, 2009

Wishes Do Come True!


Written by: ^Northernstar*
Photography by: Roy Cox

When I first became a member of the addictive network Twitter, many of my friends informed me of a female R&B artist from Baltimore named, Wish. She began following me and we introduced ourselves; her humor & sass drew me instantly to her. Back in April, Wish came home from New York (where she resides now) to go out with some mutual friends and we had a blast. The entire time she insisted on calling me “Chavay” instead of Chavez because it was “sexier” to her. Three months later, I caught up with Wish via cell phone, outside of her busy schedule of promoting & performing live. I found it funny, yet down-to-earth that she answered my questions while shopping in Urban Outfitters. (It’s all good, Wish! We all know you love your clothes.) But, aside from Wish’s outgoing personality, the most important thing she wants people to notice is her voice; and a voice she DOES have!

Hey, Wishbone!

Chavaayyy, I’m doing good… just shopping! [laughs]

[laughs] Oh, ok. And it’s nothing wrong with that. I wish I was shopping. Shoot!

[laughs] But, make sure you don’t include that for the interview, boy.

[laughs] Naw, it’s all good! When did you realize you wanted to be a professional singer, and what lengths would you go to pursue your dreams?

Well, I grew up in church, singing on the choir. Around 7 years-old, that’s when I knew I wanted to be a vocalist. I was in the church’s choir, school choir, two girl groups (they didn’t quite work out)… and now, here I am solo & I love it. I would go at any length to pursue my dream, as long as it doesn’t compromise my morals. You know?

Yes, I completely agree! I mean, you have to have some limitations. So, is this your first solo album?

Yes, this is my first solo attempt. It’s promotional and I happen to still be unsigned (I don’t have a deal)…

Yes, you don’t have a deal and you most definitely deserve one! Someone sign WISH, please. [laughs]

[laughs] It’s my first solo album alongside my best friend & writer, Donny Roc!

How was the process of recording the album? Was it nerve-wrecking or fun? Since you’re used to being in a girl group!

It was fun. It was definitely more pressure because when you’re recording by yourself… you have to do EVERYTHING. From harmonies to everything, it was definitely pressure, but it was so much fun. The process of narrowing down all of the records was exciting from the beginning to the end, and I loved the direction.

“Skoolgurl Diaries” is an interesting title for an album. Tell me exactly where the name came from?

Well, I wanted to channel how I felt in high school because I was the ultimate quiet girl…

Huh? I don’t believe you! [laughs]

[laughs] I know, I know!

Wow.

I was a really quiet & reserved person, and I was never really into all the things adolescents were into. I would go through things, and hold it all in. This album gave me a platform to release all of those feelings I kept bottled in and I’m sure many young people could relate to the songs.

The album chronicles the life of a high school girl, and the music varies from 50’s pop (“H.A.T.E.L.O.V.E”) to classic remakes (“Silly”) to rock (“Koldhearted”) to pop ballads (“Instead of You”). How do you think that works in a society that always wants to place you in a box? They like to classify music by genres. Do you think that has its pros and cons?

Well, I think the album in itself would break all of those barriers because we channel so many different genres. I believe there’s something on Diaries for everyone. Like you said, I have everything from 50’s style to rock influences on here. If you love r&b, then you will gear towards the last half of the album; if you are a pop lover, then you’ll love the beginning; & if you’re feeling funky, you can always listen to the middle. There is definitely something on there for everybody. I mean, someone should be able to like the message or hook to at least one song on Skool Diaries [laughs].


To view the entire interview, click on the link below:

http://etmmagazine.info/freeyourmind/2009/08/articles/2009_08_wishesdocome.html

No comments:

Post a Comment