"The Misfits"

Monday, July 13, 2009

Algebra II..


The Future Soul of Algebra
Written By: Raven Ekundayo – Editor-in-Chief
Photography By: Eric Johnson

Can the future of music be found in someone who isn’t new to the game? While singer/songwriter Algebra doesn’t have even 5 albums under her belt she has been in the game for a few years now. Yet what she brings to the table could be seen as something fresh and new. I wanted to talk to her about this and a few others things.

So I’d only found out 48 hours prior to sitting down with Algebra that she was going to be in town. My people at Gypsy Soul asked if I wanted to get an eXclusive with her and I was down for it. One year ago she and I talked over the phone so getting to meet her in person was cool. We were also the only media sitting down with her at this event.

The day was filled with good energy. One of ETM’s new photogs, Eric Johnson, joined me as we made our way to Anacostia in Washington, DC. The area was packed as a huge festival was going on and Algebra was the headliner. The house that Algebra was chilling in with her management looked like something out of a Tyler Perry movie. Real down home and you eXpected to see someone sitting on a porch rocking with lemonade in their hand (Obviously not a movie with the Madea character in it. Lol). Outside of the house was a party going on in the middle of the street that looked like a family reunion. There were uncles and aunts dancing, your little cousins running around and splashing in the fire hydrant. Loud music was blasting and food was everywhere. Eric and I walked into the house and the mood was very chill. You could hardly tell what was going on outside. Everyone was in their zone preparing for the performance. Algebra came out of the bathroom from putting on her makeup. We greeted each other with big hugs and I introduced myself to her manager and introduced her to Eric. We sat down and just went right into talking….

Raven - I was telling Kayenecha (From Gypsy Soul) that it has been one year since you were last featured in ETM. I told her I’m sure something new is going on with you since then (Laughs). So what has taken place in Algebra’s life since the last time our readers checked you out in here?

Algebra – Algebra has been on the road tremendously. Algebra has been writing. ….wait, let me stop talking in 3rd person. (Laughs)

Raven(Laughing)

Algebra – I’ve been busy but I’ve been resting a lot too. There’s a fine line between doing the work you love and getting the rest you need.

Raven – Amen to that.

Algebra – So that’s what I’ve been doing.

“I’m not the best singer I’m not the best guitar player, I’m not the best writer. I want to be better, don’t get me wrong, but when I pick up my instrument? I just want somebody to listen to me.” – Algebra

Raven – Ok, so what has taken place musically with you since your cd “Purpose”?

Algebra – I’ve definitely grown. I’ve been introduced to more music from artists I’ve just met as well as artists that I love from back in the day. It’s real good when you can find new songs you’ve never heard from artists you love who may have passed on.

To see Algebra's full interview, click the link below:
http://etmmagazine.info/freeyourmind/2009/07/2009_07_algebra.html

No comments:

Post a Comment