"The Misfits"

Monday, May 4, 2009

Males in Ballet, Jazz, & Tap...


Stereotypes:

Males in Ballet, Jazz, and Tap

Written by: Ryan Coleman-Ferebee

I was fortunate enough to participate in a few dance workshops at the John C. Anderson Cultural Center in Philadelphia, PA in my early teenage years. Through instruction from members of the Philadanco Dance Company, I was exposed to the basic movements of traditional ballet, tap, and modern dance. At that time, I was the only boy in the class and I loved it. I loved that I got to move to music, run across the room, and lift all the females in the room because there was no other male option. I never gave a thought to the perception of what my peers would think about me being in this class, running around in tight pants or shoes that clicked when I walked. When word started to get out in the Center that I was in the class, the other boys started to tease me and I could not figure out why. I remember telling them they were silly boys for not wanting to hang out with the physically fit girls who wanted to dance. I never associated dancing with being neither a male nor a female activity. In my mind, dance has always needed two elements: a male and female to complete the set of partners exchanging call and response type movements across the dance floor. Thankfully, I was independent in my thought process and did not let the sentiment of others get in my way.

On the surface, it would appear that African-American culture frowns upon male participation in most forms of dance with the prevailing notion that dancing is a soft art form that almost certainly defines a man as “gay” simply by association. Is there a correlation between using your body as an artistic form of expression and ones sexuality? Is a gay man more open minded to the arts than a straight man for this reason? If the typical male bravado is interested in females, isn’t dancing a vertical form of sexual expression that may lend itself to assist one in attracting a female? Conversely, when I think of our White counterparts, the two male figures that come to mind are both straight: Baryshnikov and Patrick Swayze. I do not think of White male dances as being gay. Why is that? Unfortunately for me, this topic lends itself to more questions than answers.

To view more from the article, click the link below:

http://www.etmmagazine.info/freeyourmind/2009/05/2009_05_stereotypes.html


No comments:

Post a Comment