"The Misfits"

Monday, May 25, 2009

The Back 2 The Basics EYM Review


Review By: Raven A. Ekundayo - Editor-in-Chief
Videographer : luminoUS - Editor @ Large


One year ago luminoUS and I attended Tre' Thomas showcase at Mayorga Cafe in Silver Spring, MD. That was my 1st time ever seeing both he and Jessica Greene perform. I was impressed with both artists and have gone on to support them both since then. So when Tre' informed me that he was doing it again this year I knew ETM/EYM had to be apart of it and this year eXcapethematriX.com was even a sponsor of the event.

Back 2 The Basics was the title of this years showcase but I have to say nothing is basic about Mr. Thomas. His love of the lord and his unapologetic love of soul music has always been a unique match to me, one that comes through loud and clear in his music. I also give him credit for picking great artists to showcase every year. Jessica Greene blows me away whenever I see her and this year Tre' did it again with AJB and group therAPy. It was a reunion in a sense because Anthony Brown, who heads the group, went to high school with me at the Baltimore School for the Arts so I had several reasons to enjoy the show.

AJB and group therAPy took the stage 1st and for the second year in a row I was blown away. It's no secret to anyone that knows me that I am not a religious man, but I am a spiritual man, and God spoke throughout this groups entire performance. The brothers of the group were decked out in "geek chic" and the sisters had a 60's feel going on. Anthony has an energy that calls on brothers like Kirk Franklin and Fred Hammond. Your were truly caught up in this 1st performance......


They closed out their set with a song titled "Your presence is water". Anthony prefaced the song with the story of a member of group therAPy that passed away at the start of this year. It hit the group hard and they're still processing the loss but he stated that they realize it was God's will. This song moved the entire audience including me. I had chills down my spine the entire time. My prayers go out to this group for their loss and I see nothing but great things in the future for them if this performance is any indication of what's to come. Tre' knows talent.


Then it was time for the man of the night to take the stage. Accompanied by Sol Edler, Ebony Ford and Shannon Sanders sangin in the Black ground, Tre' Thomas took the stage to a round of applause from the audience. The love for this brother was obviously in the house. The crew was decked out in classic Black and White and Tre' in his Blazer and shades had his showman swag on high. The spirit filled the entire room during his entire set and there were so many memorable moments I couldn't possibly put them all into this one review. On the song "Guess What" they not only had some audience members jumping up and shouting but I was about to personally take a church fan and slap all 3 Black ground singers as they KILLED it at the end of the song.



The Highlight of the night (And trust me there were MANY great moments as stated earlier) had to be Tre's worship medley. "Great is thy faithfulness", "More than anything" and "Total Praise" had audience members moved to tears and standing with a powerful ovation for the talent on stage and gifts that they possess. I can honestly say I've seen Tre' come a long way from one year ago and his comfort on stage and voice have both grown.



Good music moves you no matter your beliefs. I think that's what Tre' Thomas has made his mission, to tell his story to everyone, no matter your beliefs, because music transcends all of that. God speaks through him and his purpose comes through song. He touched a lot of people that night and every year you know one things for certain when you leave his showcase....you can't wait for the next one.


BE PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment