"The Misfits"

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Apocalypse Dawns at 30: Does Life Really End Here? (Two Perspectives)



The Apocalypse Dawns at 30:
Does Life Really End Here?

Written by: luminoUS; Editor at Large
Photograph (left) by: Edith Williams of Diamond Digital Photography


It seems I have a disease, or at least that’s the way people gawk at me once they find out that I’m swiftly approaching 30, not married, have no prospects of potential suitors, and haven’t laid one egg, which leaves me without a child to proudly say that I’ve carried for nine months and endured 234 hours of labor to see their sweet little face. But, rest assured, people, I’m still alive and well. Although, I have my down days, my modern day leprosy of ushering from 20 to 30 isn’t deathly and I’m actually looking forward to it.

Yes, I look all of 25, which I was told by one of the 22 year-old cubs who recently tried to seek refuge in my den, but, I, my dears, am not a cougar and have no intentions of being any woman identified by the names of ferocious felines. I am simply a woman who will turn 30 this month. I’m single with no children—rare, but not eXtinct. I very much eXist and get tired of people looking down on me because of what I don’t have or haven’t become as of yet. I’m well aware that in many cultures I would have been married years ago. The Japanese woman at the local sushi bar made this known to me once she found out how old I was and then looked at me in astonishment when my response to her question about being married didn’t align with her customs. She even asked to see my ID because she didn’t believe that I was indeed knocking on the doorway to my 3rd decade in life. But, despite the stares and feedback that I receive from strangers, it’s the voice of my family that hit the hardest. These people have known me for 30 years, or at least the elders of the family have, and it hurts me that my mom thinks that I don’t have children because I’m selfish, or that my great-grandma thought that I was too career-oriented to focus on a family. I simply couldn’t see myself having a baby and bringing it into my mom’s home. Personally, I wanted to have a stable career and a stable home in which to place a child in the attempt that I would have to raise it alone. I believe in marriage, but coming from a place where single mothers seem to be as common as ordering a chicken box and half and half as a nutritional dinner, I didn’t want to depend on someone else to look after me or my child.

To read the entire article, click the link below:
http://www.etmmagazine.info/editorials/2009/11/articles/2009_11_apocalypseat30.html


Written By: Raven A. Ekundayo
Photo By: Savhad Lewis


It’s funny. At 21 it seemed like 30 was light years away. If I’m being honest it seemed like it was just as far away at 25. It’s not that far away now. As this magazine goes to cyber print I will officially have 10 days before I turn 30. Unlike most people I know who seem to dread turning the big 30, I’m actually really eXcited.


Each “significant” age in my 20’s came with something special. At 21 I realized my life’s purpose and gave myself my last name. When I was 25 I became a journalist and gave myself my middle name.


Spoiler Alert (LOL) – For those who don’t know, my parents didn’t name me Raven Ekundayo, but for the record, I WAS born Raven Ekundayo. You can figure that one out.


When looking at my 21st and 25th Birthdays I become more eXcited about turning 30. If such important parts of my life took place during those birthdays what can I eXpect from 30?


“My 30’s are when I will appear on Oprah and become close friends with Cornel West, Sean Carter and
Jill Scott.” - Raven


I’ll also be leaving behind my 20’s and boy am I ready to be done with them. The 20’s signify a decade of finding one’s self. I enjoyed the journey and I have more to know about me I’m sure, but for the most part I’m ready for the next chapter in life. I’m ready for the part where I’ve learned the most important lessons and can now move forward and create my proper place in history. It’s perplexing to me that people assume 30 is old; that couldn’t be further from the truth. You have lived but only 3 decades at 30. That’s nothing in the grand scheme of things. We are still quite young, just thankfully not as naïve and immature as we were at 20 (well….some of us anyway).

To read Raven's entire "Apocalypse", click the link below:
http://www.etmmagazine.info/editorials/2009/11/articles/2009_11_dawnof30.html

1 comment:

  1. i remember my thirties as the decade of my spitual enlightenment, and the decade that i discovered my life assignment - to be a full-time performer. performance is more than my avocation - at 36, i saw it as my calling, my ministry if you will.

    as i talk to people entering or experiencing their thirties, i find that this is where they are as well, and it usually hits them between 30 - 32 (it was 32 for me...that's how old i was when i loc'ed). so i say to the both of you, embrace this time. when you find yourself on your spiritual trek, ponder on those things - be absorbed by them, cherish them. you are laying in the real foundation for the real beginning of your life.

    oneness!

    jaki-terry

    ReplyDelete