"The Misfits"

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Editors Notes... Three Years Later!


Ccep J. Dew,
West Coast Editor/Arts Director of “Free Your Mind”

Initially, my intention was to simply submit my poetry to ETM. To my surprise, I was thrust into journalism and quickly climbed the ladder from intern to full-time journalist. Though my love is for the arts, because of my age, I graduated to the Youth Director of “The Future” section and, when leadership began to shift, I eventually was able to make the switch to Arts Director of “Free Your Mind”. When our former West Coast Editor stepped down from her position, I stepped into it. And here I stand, two years after submitting a poem, as West Coast Editor and Arts Director of eXcape the matriX magazine…

During my 2 years with ETM, I have undergone changes both personally and professionally. This last year, in particular, has caused me to think about things differently as I have undertaken more responsibilities within the publication and the company.

A shy, introverted individual with leadership qualities, yet a preference not to be in the spotlight, it has been somewhat conflicting for me to be in the positions that I hold. Though I have all the skills to be a phenomenal leader, I would much rather seek comfort in the shadows where I can work my magic and not have people looking up at me with pools of questions about to swell over from their eyes. But, “for unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.” –Luke 12:48. So, in accepting the titles of my positions, I had to also accept the responsibility and transition myself to be the leader that is required of me.

The most difficult challenge that I have faced this year has been honesty. Not, “telling the truth as opposed to lying”, but “saying eXactly how I feel within the right capacity”. At times, I have feared coming off as too harsh when “reprimanding” journalists or fear seeming too opinionated with matters of the operation of the company. But, with encouragement, I have found my unapologetic voice and, in doing so, have taken an active role in the metamorphosis that the publication has undergone.

I’ve also become more comfortable with the interview process. It is always somewhat nerve-wrecking for me to call someone and the anxiety never truly goes away; however, I have gotten better at concealing the feeling. I have also taken the step to conduct an interview without prewritten questions. I figure, at some point, I may run into someone and that will be my only opportunity to interview them. Shouldn’t I be prepared to do impromptu interviews? Yes, I should.

Though I have come to terms with my responsibilities, I am prepared for all that the forthcoming year will require of me…

http://www.etmmagazine.info/contributors/images/en.jpgEN,
Sr. Editor/Webmaster

It is funny that I always have to stop and take a minute to reflect on the past eXperiences here with the magazine. Things often flow back to back so much that I turn around and it is time for the next “thing”. The past three years have been a growing and stretching process, but truly sometimes “you can’t see the forest for the trees”. So, in true logical fashion, I’ll make a list of ETM effects:

Capitalizing the X’s in words now…
Attending the Transformations event at MICA as a member of the press…
Finally getting business cards for myself (thank you ETM)…
Being on live radio via staff member Catalina Byrd
Getting to learn everyone a little bit more through each anniversary dinner…
Enjoying the group photo shoots…
Having a good time as the doorman for Storytellers…
Seeing just how much behind-the-scenes web work can be done in a day…

I think it is beautiful to see us still moving forward with speed and new ideas. There is a huge pool of dedicated and loving people here, working towards a goal and honing their craft. Setbacks don’t steal our joy, but rather give us more energy to get things right. The biggest trait I’ve noticed is that I have learned to go with the flow in confidence. Everything can’t be planned out in advance and I am starting to implement that in my every day life…

To read the ENTIRE Editors & Directors Editorials, click the link below:

http://www.etmmagazine.info/Editorials/2009/11/articles/2009_11_etm3years.html

No comments:

Post a Comment